Just call me stupid

First of all – the winner of Free Book Friday is Sandy Jones! Yay, Sandy!

This weeked is a blur.

Friday night I spent assigning judges for the contest. It took nearly three hours. But I felt pretty good because I got it done. I went to bed and tossed and turned. I don’t know why. I guess because I had so much to think about for the following day.

Saturday came and I got up fairly early. Had coffee, got ready. I struggled with what to wear to the RWA meeting and then the book signing. I finally settled on my best pair of dark blue jeans and my bohemian top. I wore my Tommy Hilfiger espadrilles.

The meeting was good. We got through the business portion quickly and then our guest speaker was just great. Melissa Schroeder came and talked to us about making writing a priority. Everything she said was right on. It really all made a lot of sense. She said to set a goal and then figure out what you have to do to make that goal happen. And sometimes that involves giving up something.

I think I’m going to give up all TV. Of course, I’ll still tape my favorite shows and watch them (Lost, Grey’s Anatomy, Moonlight), but for the most part, I’m not going to watch ANY TV. I’m making a commitment to myself and to my writing this year.

Not that I hadn’t already. I’ve promised myself I’ll write five manuscripts this year.

Afterward, it was off to the book signing. The Barnes & Noble was in Flower Mound (aka Highland Village) and we nearly got lost on the way there. The directions from Yahoo Maps and Mapquest were shit. They were so wrong! They had you gonig the complete opposite way. Anyway, we found it. And the intersection the book store is in is a totally beating to get to and out of. It’s like the population boomed 1000 percent and there was no way in Hades the roads could handle it.

The store is inside a cluster of stores. You can’t see it from the street. But we found it. And the manager had the table set up so cute! Yes, I have pictures. Just haven’t had time to download them.

We rearranged and got settled. We had some traffic but not much. I gave out some of my cover flats I made for the ebooks. We had cookies and cupcakes. Amie and I checked out the guys and rated them. There were a few very young boys who came blushing up to our table asknig if they could have a cookie. And then their very young girlfriends would drag them away. One mother covered her daughter’s eyes as they passed by.

I mean, come on. Okay, so the covers are a little racy. Okay, so there are half-naked people on them. But all the important parts are covered… I guess, as a mother…I would probably try to shield my kid from it, too. And we were set up right in front of the doors.

I sold two books. Well, three if you count the one I swiped. Yes, just call me stupid. I coudn’t believe it when I got home and unpacked my bag and realized it. I was horrified! Now I have to call the manager and tell her I’m a dumbass and I accidentally picked it up. I hope she doesn’t think I’m a moron. I will be paying for it, of course, over the phone with a credit card. I feel so retarded. I mean, HUGELY retarded.

So that was my stupid for the day. I’m going to chalk it up to (a) not paying attention; (b) I was distracted by getting packed up and out of there; (c) I had a splitting headache; and (d) I was worried about how to get out of there and which way to get back to the freeway.

Anyway I felt like a total bloody idiot.

After the signing, I had an invitation for dinner and drinks. Yes, with a boy. No, I’m not gonna say. 😉 I had a good time, though. I needed the decompression after the long morning and afternoon. I had three martinis. I was exhausted by the time I walked out of the restaurant four hours later and hit the house. I literally fell into bed.

Of course I slept for shit.

Sunday I worked on the contest ALL day long. I got up early, went to the grocery store, and came back to hit it hard and heavy. I sat at the computer from 10 am until 9 pm, only taking breaks to eat and go potty. But I got all 59 entries done and out to the 40-some-odd judges. Who are great, by the way. Our panel of judges are so generous with their time. Since I was short a few judges, several stepped up and volunteered to read extra entries. That certainly made my life a little easier.

But of course, it wasn’t a day without problems. I had to completely reassign all the Series Contemporary judges. That took about three hours all told. And then my Word decided to crash on me and wouldn’t open again except in Safe Mode. It ticked me off. I restarted and that didn’t work. I shut all the way down and booted back up and that didn’t work either. I was so frustrated. I stopped and cooked dinner and ate and then went back to it and…it was fine. WTF?

I downloaded the trial version of Office 2007 and may I just say…I hate it? It’s awful. Of course, I like my Word just the way it was. hehe

I shut everything off at 9 pm and headed to the couch. I needed some downtime. So I vegged out in front of the TV until I climbed into bed and fainted about 11.

What a weekend. It was good though. I feel good about the signing (except for the part where I shoplifted my own book, which is motifiying). I hope the people who took the cover flats will actually buy the book. 🙂

By Michelle

I wish you all could be inside my head. The conversation is sparkling.