Yesterday was one of those long days. And not that it was a bad day – it wasn’t. Just long. I got a lot done at the Day Job, too. Looks like I will be traveling at the end of February for training. To Portland, OR. I’ve never been there, so that should be fun. And cold. I’m probably going to freeze my ass off.

I had a thumping headache by the time I got home from work. I felt a little yuck, too. I left the office a little early. Just as I was about to heat up some dinner, my doorbell rang. It was UPS! They were delivering my new Yamaha piano keyboard!

When I told folks I was getting one, the first question was, “You play?” This is such an odd question to me. Why would I spend hundreds of dollars on something I can’t play? I guess it could stand to reason I’d want to learn to play – but that’s just weird. And then they’re surprised I play. “I didn’t know you played.” Well of course you didn’t. I’ve never really told anyone and why would I? It’s not exactly something that comes up in casual conversation. Just like the fact that I used to dance en pointe isn’t something that comes up in casual conversation either, but I used to do it. And to further prove the fact I’m a total nerd, I was in Band and Orchestra in junior high and high school. So there.

Anyway, yes, I play. And I had been missing it too much lately. And since my house can’t accomodate a real piano – and I couldn’t afford one – I started looking into keyboards. I found a reburb 88-key directly from Yamaha with 90 days parts and labor warranty for about half the price of a new one. Sweet deal.

So the UPS guy was nice enough to bring it into the house for me. I signed for it and he was on his way. I was so excited! I unpacked it right then and there in the entryway of my little house. It came with a stand, a sustain peddal, a music stand, and AC adaptor. It has over 400 “voices” and all sorts of features. Not that I was really interested in the features. I just wanted something that sounded like a piano.

Because I’m impatient, I set it in the middle of the floor in the office and turned it on. It worked! And it was beautiful. And it sounded just like a real live piano. After a little while, I tackled putting the stand together – which came with no instructions whatsoever. It took me a few minutes, but I did figure out how to get it together.

And so, now, I have this beautiful 88-key Yamaha keyboard in my office! I love it. I played last night until my fingers ached. I think I played just about every piece of music I have. It’s still a little surreal to me, looking over and seeing that keyboard sitting there. but it’s SO awesome. I’m so happy!

And so in debt.

But you know what? What good is money if you can’t spend it? I’ll recover from it. It may take a few months, but I’ll get there. And in the meantime, I’m very happy with my purchase. I’m also very happy with the fact I can sit down and play anytime I want. And no one cares. And no one turns up the TV when I start to play. It’s wonderful.

Anyway…this morning the cat decided it was time for me to get up when the sun was streaming in through the bedroom windows. He poked his little head over the edge of the mattress, reached is paw out and nudged me as if to say, “HEY. Get up, lazy!”

I’m feeling better today. I think yesterday I was overtired and just needed some rest. I got up and made a pot of coffee. Then I ran to the bank to cash my expense check. Since I’m still check card-less, I knew it would be the only way to get some spending money this week. I sure hope my new card comes next week. Although, I have to say, it’s really kept my spending in check since I don’t carry it with me. Maybe I’ll keep that up and it will keep me in control. No more impulse items.

I have some things to do today including returning movies to Blockbuster and grocery shopping. I guess I better get to it!

By Michelle

I wish you all could be inside my head. The conversation is sparkling.