Tricks and Treats

Quote du Jour:
Double, double, toil and trouble;
Fire burn and cauldron bubble.
The Tragedy of Macbeth, Act IV, Scene I

Last night was the perfect Halloween night. The Trick or Treaters started showing up at 6:15 and didn’t stop until nearly 9. We had a hoard of kids. That’s what I love about my neighborhood.

My little Buzz Lightyear ate his dinner and then was off to do his trick or treating by about 6:30ish. Here he is, all dressed up and ready to go:

Buzz Lightyear

Isn’t he cute??

I took him first and we headed down Moss. This is like the party street on Halloween. There are TONS of people who go all out, dress up, decorate, hand out candy from their driveway with all their decorations surrounding them. It’s fun. We walked all the way down the street to the farthest corner, then turned and headed back up the other side. I think we were gone like forty-five minutes. The wind was cool and crisp, rustling the leaves of the trees.

There were tons of kids running up and down the street. All in a group of some sort, all with parental supervision. I love the fact there are so many kids in the neighborhood and they all go together with a parent.

There’s always the one person about mid-way down the block that really goes all out. Dresses up and everything. This year, she wore this really scary skeleton mash, dark black cape, freaky hands. She sat in the middle of the driveway with the bowl of candy in her lap (at least, I think it was a her. She had really long blonde hair down her back). Anyway… as we approached the house, my son stopped.

“I don’t want to,” he said.

Meaning, he didn’t want to approach the thing sitting in the middle of the driveway. I tried to coax him toward the creature, by telling him it was all right. He merely shook his head.

“I’m not going up there, Mom.”

So I had him give me his pumpkin (it’s purple), and I got the candy for him. First time I trick or treated (sort of) in YEARS. 😆

Anyhoo… back to the house we went, where Dad was passing out candy to the hoards of kids. And Buzz had a full bucket of candy so heavy he had to use two hands to carry it. Cute.

After quickly dumping his candy, it was Dad’s turn to take him down the next street while I stayed back for Candy Duty. They returned a while later, with not much candy since the other street was full of party poopers who didn’t have their light on. Buzz still wanted to go some more, so off they went again.

It was shortly after 8 when they returned home and he was all tuckered out. What a haul he made, too! I bathed him, put him to bed and he fell right to sleep.

My walk up and down the street exhausted me. It was all that rough terrain and walking in the dark.

Anyhoo… the final trick of the day happened late last night. We had three small pumpkins on our porch. When I left this morning, they were gone. One was smashed in the middle of the street, another one was looking sad by the mailbox. Damn kids.

In other news… the boots have arrived and they are now on my feet. They are the BEST boots ever. Don’t you think?

Lace-Up Boots

By Michelle

I wish you all could be inside my head. The conversation is sparkling.