Today, I’m please to welcome fellow Samhain author, Maria Zannini. If you check out Maria’s website, be sure to read her bio for a giggle or two. She’s a seriously funny lady.
Here’s a really timely post about pinching pennies and, well, taxes! And now, without further adieu, I give you Maria!
If you live in the US, you know today is the day we bare our souls to Uncle Sam and hope he doesn’t squeeze us dry.
Since we seem to have little say on where our tax dollars go, the least I can do is tell you how to make the money that’s left go farther. As we all know, we writers are generally penniless rascals.
So let’s rub the few pennies we have and see what we can come up with.
- Whenever possible, query by email. Thankfully, many agents and editors are beginning to see the light and welcome emails. But sometimes you have to dig for that address.
- Always use both sides of your printer paper. Let’s face it, a lot of what we print is for our own benefit and not for others to see, so save a tree and use both sides of the page.
- Get your business cards for free (or nearly free) with Vista.
- Whether you are just starting out or have been in this business for years, you NEED an internet presence. Even if you don’t feel comfortable building a website yet, there’s no reason not to create a blog and write about your writer’s journey. It’s good practice. It puts your name out in public and best of all–it’s FREE.
- Find yourself an honest critique group. This is probably one of the best money-saving tips I can give you. Good crit partners SAVE you money. They help you polish your book before you go and spend a ton of dough mailing your manuscript out in hopeful ignorance.
- Don’t die. I know–that’s a no-brainer. But if you don’t take care of yourself, you won’t write that best selling novel.
- Buy books! Books are some of the best values around. I buy them all year long and give them away as gifts for Christmas and birthdays.
And if you’d like a chance to win a serious prize package, go to my blog and check out my new contest. I’m offering a very cool prize package worth $100 to the person who blogs, tweets or reviews TOUCH OF FIRE the most using these words: The Apocalypse Is Closer Than You Think. Buy TOUCH OF FIRE by Maria Zannini by May 28, 2009.
Help me spread the word. Together, we’ll put recession back in its box.
TOUCH OF FIRE comes out in print on April 28.
Read an excerpt at Samhain Publishing.
Thanks for letting me visit, Michelle! We’ll have to do this in person too! I just realized you’re only a couple of hours from where I live.