I love movies. I love watching the Oscars about as much as I love the movies. But this year…meh.
First things first. Let’s talk about the red carpet arrivals all those gorgeous gowns!
Winner of Most Awkward Interview: Dakota Johnson and mom, Melanie Griffith. Melanie Griffith looked positively uncomfortable when asked if she’d seen 50 Shades of Grey. “Um, no,” she said and then went on to say she didn’t plan to see it. To which Dakota Johnson, in typical young adult fashion, rolled her eyes. “You could see it, though. It’s not THAT bad.” Like she was having to defend herself in her movie.
I thought she sounded – and looked – like a spoiled brat.
Also, the stars not wanting to be asked what they’re wearing. Um, hello, this is the OSCARS. That is THE POINT. The only reason peeps at home like me watch is because we want to know what they’re wearing. Personally, I could care less what their “cause” is—what is the point of Laura Dern wearing a large turquoise ring by Bulgari to raise awareness of lung cancer? How exactly does that help? Because I’m not seeing it. Patricia Arquette also got in her support of not only equal wage for women (snort – that seems odd coming from an actress who makes a hefty paycheck – I gotta wonder who her demographic is she’s speaking to there. Is she upset because she’s not making as much as the top A-list actor in the industry?) but also ecological sanitation work. Yawn.
Let’s talk gown. StyleList has all the red carpet arrivals here.
My Top 5 Favorite gowns (not that you care but…)
1. Jennifer Lopez – A little too much cleavage but I loved the skirt of her gown
2. Reese Witherspoon – She looked so classy
3. Julianne Moore – Another classy look in white
4. Felicity Jones – I loved her dove gray ball gown with the full skirt
5. Meryl Streep – A woman who dresses in an age-appropriate, yet classy outfit
My Top 5 Worst gowns
1. Scarlett Johansson – The gown would have been fine without the horrendous necklace
2. Marion Cotillard – I didn’t like the holes all over it. It looked weird
3. Solange Knowles – what WAS that? It looked like she just draped red material over her body
4. Chloe Moretz – While pockets are cool, her dress looked awfully frumpy
5. Naomi Watts – Ick
I have to admit that this year’s award show was lackluster at best. I was practically bored to tears. While I appreciated Neil Patrick Harris’s attempt at humor, most of his jokes fell flat. Whenever he’d crack one he thought was particularly funny, he made that face where he had to pretend not to laugh. And I absolutely hated his “magic trick” of Oscar predictions. His constant reminder of his box of predictions locked up tight bored me. By the end of the show, I really didn’t CARE what his predictions were. I just wanted to get to the end.
I didn’t care for the political statements in all the acceptance speeches, either. It goes back to that feeling of do we really care what their cause is? I’m thinking NO. All we care about is that you graciously accept the award, don’t ramble, and move on so we can get to the end.
I was pretty disappointed in the Oscars this year. All I can do is hope next year is better.